Here you will find reviews of gigs both local and not-so-local (local to me being Oxford which, admittedly, may not be so local to you but I promise you will hear about some great bands) and of albums and so on both new and old. In my day they were called LPs and we listened to them on the record conbobulator, but that's a story for another day.


Tuesday 4 January 2011

Albums That Are Old But That I Think I Should Review Anyway pt.I

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – The Boatman's Call (1997)

One of Cave's most highly praised releases, I don't think anyone could call this an under-rated record, but sadly not enough people really rate Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds these days, or even know who they are other than by name. This could be said about any non-mainstream artists, I suppose, but it always seems like a travesty when it comes to this band.
A little more personal than Murder Ballads, Cave's previous release, various songs on The Boatman's Call have been rumoured to be about various women in his life from his ex-partner and mother of his son, Viviane Carnerio, in “People Ain't No Good” to fellow musician, PJ Harvey, in “West-Country Girl”.

The composition on this album is deliberately sparse and minimalistic, which, in a way, reinforces the gloomy feel of the record. Whereas the lyrics are rich and poetic as ever. Cave has a real knack for creating an atmosphere through music, and this one is unsettling yet weirdly sweet at the same time.

This is amongst the finest albums you can get your paws on, and don't let me catch you saying otherwise.




No comments:

Post a Comment